How do Pets Affect Indoor Air Quality?
Sacrifice is nothing new for pet-owners, who are constantly dedicating their time and money to keep their pets well-fed, groomed and exercised. But did you know you could be sacrificing your health too? “Pet dander” is a term used to describe tiny pieces of skin shed by animals with feathers or fur – including cats, dogs, rodents and birds. This dander is microscopic and one of the most prevalent allergens on the planet; it can even be found in homes without pets. Pet dander can unknowingly be inhaled, where it settles in a person's respiratory tract and can cause allergic reactions and medical problems such as asthma. Here are some facts to illustrate how many people have allergies to pet dander:
- There are more than 100 million pets in America.
- As many as 3 in 1o Americans are allergic to cats and/or dogs.
- One-third of people diagnosed with pet allergies are pet owners.
- About 50 percent of people with pet allergies fail to show symptoms right away; it can take years for any such signs.
Typical reactions to pet dander can range from mild to severe and include: coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, dizziness, fever and breathing problems. If you are allergic to your pets, the best possible solution is to find them a new home. If you are unable to part with them (as people often discover they are allergic to pets after they get them), the following solutions should be considered:
- Routinely vacuum carpets and furniture with HEPA filters.
- Regularly bathe your pets; brush them outdoors to prevent dander from spreading.
- Wash your hands after touching your pets.
- Keep your cat’s litter boxes away from air vents.
- Avoid fabric-covered furniture, cloth drapes, carpets and rugs, and other household furnishings that accumulate dander.
- Don’t allow your pets in your bedrooms.
- Use a daily, over-the-counter allergy medicine.
- Have the air ducts in your home cleaned.
- Install HEPA air filters throughout your house.
If air quality is a concern in your Georgia home, Assured Comfort can help. We offer a variety of air purification solutions, including air duct cleaning, HEPA filters and whole-home ventilation systems. For more information about how to improve your home’s ventilation, call us at or check out our Facebook page. If you live in Georgia and suffer from pet allergies, Assured Comfort may be able to help. In addition to our many heating and cooling services, we offer a variety of air purification options; including duct cleaning and the installation of air filtration systems. To learn more about our company, book a service online and save 10%.