Since 2002, our team of faucet repair specialists
A leaky faucet is not something that should be put off. Further damage can occur to the plumbing of your house if left unrepaired and can lead to costly plumbing bills when the issue could have originally been resolved with a quick fix.
If you notice that one of your faucets is leaking or not working properly, give Assured Comfort a call or click on the link below and we will have one of our technicians right over to assist you.
Type of Faucets that are Common
Faucets come in all shapes and sizes and serve a variety of purposes. However, many of them will have similar issues when they are not functioning properly.
Before a faucet can be repaired, our technicians must first determine what type of faucet we are dealing with. They are classified based on the type of mechanisms that are used for its functioning.
Some of the common types of faucets used throughout Georgia include:
- Cartridge Faucet -
Cartrigefaucets are washerless faucets and can have either one or two handles. What seperatescartridge faucets from the other types of faucets is how they regulate water temperature and pressure. A Cartridge Faucet uses a moveable stem cartridge that moves up and down to regulate the amount of water that pours out, and the handles are turned side to side to regulate the temperature of the water.
- Disc Faucet - Disc Faucets are single handle faucets where the handle is connected to a wide cylindrical body. These faucets use a pressure balance cartridge that mixes cold and warm water in a small chamber and the temperature is controlled by side-to-side rotation of the handle. To control water pressure, there are two ceramic discs located in the pressure chamber that move up and down in collusion with the handle.
- Ball Faucet - Ball faucets are so called because they use a single handle that rotates on a round cap located on the faucet body. The Ball Faucet functions by rotating a small ball that has small chambers in it located in the body of the faucet. Depending on the position, this small mechanism controls the water pressure and temperature. It is also important to know that Ball Faucets tend to have more leaks than Cartridge or Disc Faucets.
- Compression Faucet - Compression faucets are the oldest type of faucets and are thus the most likely to have issues with leaking compared to the other types of faucets. These faucets operate with a large washer wrapped around a large compression stem. The temperature and pressure are regulated by two
seperatehandles, one for hot and one for cold, and pressure is turned off by twisting them closed.
How Much Could a Leaky Faucet Cost You?
If you have a leaky faucet, having a professional repair service come and fix it is the best way to prevent further damage and save you money.
Although they may not seem like a big deal, leaky faucets can cause homeowners in Atlanta a lot of money if they go unfixed.
"A single bathroom, kitchen, or
Besides the cost of your water bill, a leaky faucet could be the sign of a bigger problem, and if left unaddressed, can be the difference between a cheap repair, and an entire replacement, which could cost upwards of $1000.00.
On top of the potential financial cost of a leaky faucet, there is also the issue of wasting water.
"One single faucet leak over a one year period on average can lead to wasting 10,000 gallons of water".
As you can see, the best route to take when you have a leaky faucet in your Atlanta area home is to contact a professional faucet repairman to nip the issue in the bud and save yourself money long term.
Common Causes of a Leaky Faucet
Faucets can spring a leak for a variety of
- Worn Out Washer - A worn out washer is usually the result of friction that is created when the washer is pressed against the valve during use over time. By simply replacing
a thewasher, the leak can be stopped and prevent further damage to the faucet.
- Corroded Valve Seat - The valve seat is located between the spout and faucet. Corrosion occurs due to the minerals in water as the water passes through the compression chamber. Cleaning the valve seat is the best way to prevent its corrosion and reduce the chance of leaks.
- Issue With an O-Ring - An O-Ring is the small disc that is connected to the stem in a Disc Faucet. Over time, the O-ring can get worn down or become loose, leading to a drip
commingfrom your faucet.
- Loose Parts - Loose parts in the stem of the faucet are naturally caused by use over
time,and result in water leaking from the faucet handles. By checking the tightness of the nuts and stem screw, you may be able to prevent leaks in your faucet caused by loose parts.
- Broken Plumbing - Broken Plumbing is a serious issue in the piping in your home. This is usually caused by a small crack in one of the pipes connected to the faucet, which can cause a decrease in water pressure and leaking. Getting your plumbing installed and maintained by a professional is the best way to prevent a Broken Plumbing issue from
- Worn Out Seals - The Seals used in the mechanisms of faucets can become worn out over time from the constant passing by of
water,and can cause a faucet to drip. Having a professional inspect the pressure mechanism in yourfaucet and clean it is the best way to prevent this issue from occuring.
- Improper Installation of a Washer - If your faucet has a washer that has not been installed correctly, or is not the right size, it can cause a leak in your faucet. Having a professional install your faucet in the first place is how to best avoid this common issue.
Call the Faucet Repair and Installation Team
If you are having issues with a leaky faucet in your Atlanta area home, call the professionals at Assured Comfort.
Our team of faucet specialists
A leaky faucet can cause you to waste unnecessary water and money. Having a professional inspect your faucet, determine the cause of your leak, and decide what the best option is moving forward is crucial to saving you money long term.